Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fahrenheit 451 and Porcupine Tree

As I've been doing these blogs I've been listing to an album by the name of Fear of a Blank Planet by the band Porcupine Tree. The thing I've noticed about this album is that the themes are extremely similar to the themes presented by Fahrenheit 451. The theme of the album is that of dissociation and the worship of technology. It is written from the point of view of a teenager who wastes away his day playing video games, watching TV, and taking pills and different kinds of medicines. I never realized how similar the themes of the album were to that of the people in Fahrenheit 451. I thought it was really cool when I realized how much of an influence Fahrenheit 451 was on one of my favorite albums. The similarities between the character of Fear of a Blank Planet and those teenagers in Fahrenheit 451 are plentiful. The child in the album causes chaos and havoc only for the purpose of causing chaos and havoc, similar to those teenagers in the novel. The technology worship is prominent to in the line "My Xbox is a god to me." This and the child in the album saying how the TV is always on yet he never pays attention remind me of the anarchic and dissociative nature of the teenagers in the novel are very similar. Again another similarity between the child and a character in the novel, Mildred, are the medicine. The child in the album takes a numerous amount of pills and medicines, just like Mildred in the novel. The pills confuse the narrator of the album and make him lose intrest in the world around him similar to the way Mildred behaves in the novel. The connections between the novel and the album are very numerous and until really listening I never realized how many there were. The idea of Bradbury influencing such a masterful album is really a cool thought and makes me appreciate the book even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment