Sunday, August 22, 2010

Grapes of Wrath: Symbolism

Oh boy another post on symbolism joy, oh happy happy joy. Alright I'll try and contain my happiness and excitement as I write this. The main symbol that I found in this novel was that of Rose of Sharon's pregnancy, oh and guess what it's ANOTHER religious symbol. God I'm getting tired of Christianity in every novel I read. What about the Hindus guys? Can they get some lovin here? Anyway Rose of Sharon's pregnancy is sort of like the immaculate conception in that we don't know who the father is and she herself represent hope, goodness and the ever present chance for redemption, or something along those lines. The way the baby is born and is discarded (it's a stillborn) is reminiscent of Moses being sent down the Nile. Not in the fact that Moses was stillborn (he wasn't) but the whole being sent down a river in a basket thing. That's the main relateability to the bible here. It has also just occurred to me that this event happened in the Old Testament so therefore we have a reference to both Judaism and Christianity, oh boy. I still don't get why nobody pays attention to the Hindus but whatever. The whole representing The Virgin Mother thing by having some holy woman who is representative for redemption has been so played out for me by this stage I don't even care. I hate religious symbols and undertones in novels and at this stage the abundance of references to the Holy Bible are just getting on my nerve. Oh my gosh Steinbeck you're trying to make a statement on the redeemability of mankind despite all the terrible and tragic things that we have done to each other and our capability for destruction that is just SO original and I have never read ANYTHING similar to that idea at all. I really just don't like religious undertones in my novel because I feel that they kind of distract from the thing I'm reading. Blegh. I hate this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment