Sunday, February 13, 2011

Slave Hymns

The slave hymns of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," "Go Down, Moses," "Keep Your Hand on the Plow" were all songs write that were to inspire slaves to keep on trekking in their terrible journey and that one day their labor would be rewarded and they would see the end of their work and revel in the fruits of their labor. While the slaves were working in the fields they were not allowed to speak on the field let alone sing. While in the dead of the night or while having their secret meetings in the bayous or the designated meeting points the slaves would sing these realistic song to inspire them and give them hope on their journey.

As Werlock writes "Realism is the attempt to depict life as it actually exists, not as the author wants it to be in the present or the future, or imagines it was in the past. A realist carefully chooses details that illustrate this vision, unlike the naturalist who tries to include all possible details." Using these themes and common elements the songs fall under the realism category.

Most slaves knew they would never see freedom in their time so they looked to the heavens for their inspiration and their hope. They thought that their escape from reality would be heaven and they would reap their rewards for their labor in the afterlife. These thoughts were the only things that propelled them on in their work and the promise of the afterlife was an enticing one indeed. Their songs told of their departure to the afterlife as this line from "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" demonstrates, "I looked over Jordan, and what did I see Coming for to carry me home A band of angels coming after me, Coming for to carry me home. If you get there before I do, Coming for to carry me home, Tell all my friends I’m coming, too. Coming for to carry me home."

The next song "Go Down Moses" is a comparative song that uses the story of the Jews in Egypt as a source of inspiration for the slaves. The song gives the current slaves hope by reminding them of the struggle the Jews had to endure under the Pharaohs and the promised land they received for their devotion. With the verse from this song "We need not always weep and mourn, Let my people go, And wear these slavery chains forlorn, Let my people go." This quote reminds the slave of the Jews previous struggle in a situation exactly as their and gives them hope that something better will come from their predicament.

With the final song, "Keep Your Hand on the Plow" the slaves were again reminded of their Lord's support. With the line, "Heard the voice of Jesus say, Come unto me , I am the way. Keep your hand on the plow, hold on. When my way gets dark as night, I know the lord will be my light, Keep your hand on the plow, hold on." the slaves are again reminded that their struggle is a hopeful one with paradise and eternal happiness being their reward.



Anonymous. - NetHymnal. Web. 13 Feb. 2011. .

Werlock, Abby H. P. "realism." The Facts On File Companion to the American Short Story, Second Edition. New York: Facts On File, Inc., 2009. Bloom's Literary Reference Online. Facts On File, Inc. http://www.fofweb.com/activelink2.asp?ItemID=WE54&SID=5&iPin= Gamshrtsty0575&SingleRecord=True (accessed February 13, 2011).

Anonymous. "Go Down Moses (Let My People Go)." My HomewithGod Websites - 50MB of Free Christian Web Space. Web. 13 Feb. 2011. .

Anonymous. "Mahalia Jackson Keep Your Hand on the Plow Lyrics." Lyrics. Web. 13 Feb. 2011. .

1 comment:

  1. I would love to find these wonderful old black spiritual songs on a CD. I remember singing them as a child in a small one room church ⛪ somewhere in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete